Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Here we go again!

Wow. Pregnancy #2. I am still a little bit stunned at the idea of expecting a second child, even though we are about to enter the second trimester. The timing with this little one was certainly a surprise to us, although I know it is part of God's perfect plan for our family. While the shock of the first pregnancy quickly turned to giddiness and planning, wondering and day-dreaming - it has not hit yet with this one. I still struggle to believe that I am carrying another child, although I am reminded regularly by my already-expanding belly and the nausea that has, again, become a part of my daily routine.

Each day is so packed with the changes that are happening at my work and caring for Amberlin once I get home that by the time I sit down at night, I don't have the time or energy to day dream. I just fall asleep! While with the first pregnancy I was uptight about everything and followed every "rule" strictly (especially no caffeine!), I feel much more relaxed this time around. It's nice, actually, to not be so consumed with it. To tell you the truth, I haven't even had the time to brush up on all of my research. Instead, I have tried to just be healthier with my eating habits, take things in moderation and not go overboard. I have enjoyed the few moments where it has become very clear that life is going to change soon - like the ultrasound we had at 8 weeks to see our little peanut. Or the relief of slipping into my maternity pants (finally!) after weeks of trying to squeeze into my too-tight pants. They just don't dominate our lives like they did the first time around.

Our little peanut at 8 weeks


I have definitely noticed some differences with this pregnancy already. I have had nausea, but thankfully I haven't thrown up as much as I did with Amberlin. New to this round are food aversions and cravings! I didn't get those at all with the last pregnancy, but this time I have lost all tolerance for chicken. Fried chicken, chicken soup, anything chicken... keep it away from me! And keep the smell away, too - that's just as bad. I haven't had any crazy or quirky cravings, but I could go for lo mein any time! And I've had the urge for Big Macs a few times (I only gave in once - I told you, moderation...). I've tried to stick with the practice of snacking throughout the day instead of eating three big meals, so I've stocked up on veggies and fruit. Hopefully this practice will keep my blood sugar levels under control this time - although I realize I will have to get more serious about planning WHAT I'm eating soon.

We feel very blessed to have found a good doctor here in Colorado. The first place we went did not meet our needs in that they were a very large practice and a lot of my appointments would have been with midwives. While I would have been excited at that thought if we were having a regular delivery and I might have one of the midwives deliver the baby, it's a little annoying when I know I'm going to have a caesarean. I want to know my doctor. So we tried another place that has four female doctors who are fairly young. We LOVE this practice! The first doctor I met with treated me so well and made me feel like I already know her. I have another appointment with her tomorrow. I am not sure if I will see her the whole time or if I will meet with the other doctors, but I am hoping she is the one to ultimately handle the surgery and delivery. She's awesome!

We had the chance to tour the new Family Birth Center at our hospital a few weeks ago. It was very exciting! The facilities are amazing - it feels more like walking into a hotel than it does a hospital. Their labor rooms are awesome - although we won't be using those. They have huge jacuzzi tubs and the monitors that they use are wireless, so you can actually get out of bed and not be hooked up to the machines! I would have loved that during the 48 hours I was monitored before having Amberlin! They also have tempur-pedic beds in all of the rooms!

Even though we won't use those rooms, we will have a private room for pre-surgery prep and post-surgery recovery that our family can wait in if we so desire. They do all of the work on the baby in the recovery room with us, instead of taking him/her to the nursery to bathe and monitor. This is great news to me since it took hours before I got to hold Amberlin after her delivery! This also means that Andy will get to be with me AND the baby during the recovery time, which will be wonderful. The postpartum rooms are also amazing. They have 24 hour room service and as a patient I can order anything I want, whenever I want! The menu looks like a restaurant menu - I wonder what the food will taste like?

Another plus is a spa that is located in the maternity ward that provides in-room massages if you want to order one. They cost, of course, but they sound wonderful!!

June 15 is the formal due date, but the delivery will be planned for at least a week before that. Check back often for updates... I'll post as often as I can. It's going to be a wild ride!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a bit like planning a vacation and checking out hotels ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the name of this hospital have a "Hyatt" or "Hilton" in it? Sure sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete